My ex-husband has a few health problems. These made it impossible for him to work outside the home. Through no fault of his own, he became dependent on me and his disability check to meet his needs and provide for our family. I learned that I was blessed to be able to work and provide for my family. It was much better to be the one who was healthy enough to work than to be the one who couldn’t for health reasons.
1 Thessalonians 4:12 states, So that you may bear yourselves becomingly and be correct and honorable and command the respect of the outside world, being dependent on nobody and having need of nothing.
Women have always been caught in a struggle between being submissive to their husbands and to God, and at the same time, being independent enough to take care of the home and family if they need to do so.
I felt like I needed to supplement my income, but I really didn’t have time to get another job outside of the home. I wanted to have a business from home, but my problem was that I felt like I just didn’t have any good ideas for a business. I was confident that once it started, that I could work the business, but I didn’t have any idea what it would be.
Here’s what I have learned about getting a good idea for a business from doing some research:
- What do you love to do? What are you good at? Ask your friends, family and co-workers if you don’t know.
- What don’t you like? If you’re going to work hard at creating a business, it has to be something you really enjoy. So if you don’t like sales, don’t try to sell makeup to your friends.
- Find a problem and solve it. What is something that really bugs you that you would like fixed? How to get rid of ants? An easier way to organize your papers? Somewhere to
stashcare for your mother-in-law when she can’t live alone anymore? If it is bothering you, it’s probably a problem for others as well.
- What are your talents and skills? Maybe one of those could turn into a business for you.
- Just start. It may not work out this time, and it may take several starts and stops, but at least you will learn a lot.